Saturday, January 8, 2011

Why I'm Here

Hello everyone.

My name is Tony J. I've created this blog as a response to the anti-AA blog called 'stinkin-thinkin'.

The only purpose of it, is to direct you to another blog I'm active on that was designed to address stinkin-thinkin. This was necessary because the folks at stinkin-thinkin don't allow the free and open exchange of ideas. They pretend to be open to the truth but are actually members of what is becoming a quasi-cult on internet blog sites.

It's not that I have any opinions on outside issues as an AA member, it's just that I feel the 'real alcoholic' who is still suffering deserves the chance to recover and should not be sucked into a small, vocal minority of dissatisfied ex and anti-AA's who have made a religion out of hating AA.

In the end, of course, the choice is yours. Perhaps they have what you want and need. That's fine. If that's the case, by all means, follow them.

But if you decide you are at the end of your rope, don't be afraid to attend a few AA meetings and follow some of the basic suggestions you'll be offered.

The alternative blog to stinkin-thinkin.com is here :

http://mcgowdog.blogspot.com/


Warning, the above blog is by adults and for adults. It rated R and probably on the Howard Stern level of propriety. If this doesn't offend you and if you want to hear some honest answers to the rhetoric and petty gossip being spewed on ant-AA sites please stop by.

The decision you make is yours. You will live with the consequences. You owe it to yourself to learn as much as possible about alcoholism and treatment alternatives. Although we are at times crude and always direct, I believe we have alot of good information to counter the anti-AA propaganda machine.

Weather you chose to do AA or be an anti-AA or sit on the fence, please respect yourself enough to make an informed decision.

Thank You.


A quick comparison of the two groups :

Focus.

AA has one primary purpose. We help each other recover from alcoholism. We get together informally and pass on wisdom and ideas that were passed on to us. We use The Twelve Steps as a program of recovery. It has provided many of us with a 'spiritual experience' powerful enough to change our perspective on drinking. If you think you have a problem with alcohol, you are welcome in AA.

Anti-AA has no real purpose other than being against AA. It is not a program of recovery. If you can't stop or moderate the anti-AA's have nothing to offer you. It is a place where you can go and feel superior to people who have severe drug, alcohol and mental problems and pat yourself on the back for not being 'one of those people'. If you happen to be 'one of those people' you'll do better in your local AA meeting.


Abstinence.

AA believes that a real alcoholic will need to resign himself to abstinence. For some people it will never be possible to drink safely. This is supported by the medical community and by vast experience. AA is designed for people who don't have the ability to drink safely and yet can't muster the strength to abstain. AA offers these people a way of life where drinking is no longer necessary. No one ever died from not drinking and if you don't take the first drink you can't get drunk. Fair enough ?

Anti-AA thinks not. The anti-AA movement welcomes individuals who feel the need to frequent recovery blogs and brag of their drinking. This is America and we can all say what we like but it seems a person who is drinking in a safe and mature manner wouldn't feel the need to talk about it constantly.

Control.

AA meetings are autonomous. They are run by local group members. You are free to join a group at your leisure (you are a member when you say you are) and to take part in the groups business meetings. You will have a vote and may bring up any issues you are concerned with. If a group doesn't allow you a voice you should find another one who does. Groups ought to follow the Twelve Traditions and you are free to read them and act as a check to the group.

Anti-AA meets on various blogs. They are run by leaders who are trying to spread certain narratives by using rhetoric and propaganda. Their aim is not to help anyone. If you want to participate on their blogs you must spew the anti-AA rhetoric that the leaders demand. You may be welcome for a time if you are pro AA but only if they see you as an inferior that they can use to win other converts. Anti-AA is a dictatorship where AA is a democracy. (actually AA is anarchistic but why quibble ?)

13 comments:

  1. Good to see you branch out.

    I'll add the site to the header as well if we have room.

    I'm not very blog-savvy as of yet, but suggest you go into your dashboard and play around with some of the features available to you now.

    I like recent comments header added to the top left and recent posts below that.

    Have fun and I'll check in as soon as I can get the wife off of my computer. Only so much you can do with a droid.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello again, Tony:
    I thought I'd finally take you up on your offer to post on your blog, so here goes:
    It looks like the esteemed FTG over at Stinkin Thinkin has come up with yet another excuse for my banishment. On her post of Jan.30 on the "Neverending Thread" ("Neverending Argument" would be much more accurate) section, she states that the mere inclusion of your name in my posts was enough to hold them for censoring! That's a real accomplishment, Tony, the mere mention of your name - sort of like "speak of the devil..."! She went on to compare using your name to mentioning "penis enlargement" (and they let this FTG person actually teach young people?), and finally made the comment that I had apparently "connected to my tribe" after her non?banning. Provocative choice of words, since she is well aware of my Native American heritage.
    Anyway, this goddess of the would-be intellectuals at ST neglected to check the "Trolls" thread before posting; if she had, she would have noticed several posts from others that included your name, and were posted anyway! Duh...
    Give 'em enough rope, and they'll hang themselves!

    ReplyDelete
  3. She's a teacher ?

    She seems controlling and insecure enough to have been one of my teachers. That's the way I remember many of them. A few were actually good people but that profession does draw it's share of would-bes.

    I haven't been on. I don't really go where I'm not wanted. Once they kick me off I lose interest.

    But I do remember plenty of the regulars mentioning me by name.

    All in all it's a good example of why we don't have membership criteria in AA though. The ST crew are all about pretense. They drop their degrees at the drop of a hat to impress each other. Actually, when you're an educated person and you still manage to be dumb as a rock, it isn't really something to be proud of. But it's all in the status for people like that, not in the content.

    But fakes and snobs need a place to hang out too. That's why ST has what little audience it does. Good for them. If they're into ST they'll be less likely to show up at one of my meetings. That's a win win.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just thought I'd check in and say hi, Tony.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi, Tony:
    Matters are really skidding out of control lately at ST; Diablo was recently banned, and a Steve has had his posting deleted and was banned himself because MA thought he was Diablo "in another persona"!
    I wonder when someone will be banned because they are suspected of being you "in another persona".
    Hmmm, would that make you a vampire, a werewolf or just a zombie in that case?
    No matter - Mike just said his goodbye to the other regulars at ST, claiming the site had become "unhealthy" for him to visit; how true, Mike!
    Talk over there is now about "three strikes and out" for "trolls", whatever that term means.
    After two years of every techno-trick and amusement that the administrators can dream up, all ST has accomplished is a site largely abandoned by moderates, and populated by less regulars than most AA meetings in this area have! Also, the turnover among newcomers to that site is as high as any first-step group here has.
    When will they ever learn that hatred cures nothing?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey Ralph,

    It's great. It's why we have Tradition Three.

    They're a living example of how drunks act when you take away the suggestion that they work towards humility and putting others before themselves. Self will run riot, as they say...lol.

    My bet is that AA out lasts ST by at least a few months.......


    Mike will be back. He's actually okay but he has some chip on his shoulder about AA. I think he was using AA as his post graduate thesis or something though. Typical lazy alcoholic manuver if true. But I like Mike. He's probably one of us.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Tony I would have to say that I am honored to finally make it to your blog. My username is Diablo and I too was banned as they say from ST. Actually I left then went onto another site and reamed Gunther and Sugomoms ass for being themselves. This got back to FTG and she just couldn't have this, got all hot and bothered and said I was banned. I'm good with that.
    Anyway, I joined your brothers blog McGowan and that lead me here.
    See ya around.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I meant to say my sometimes old username is Diablo. I have two as you can see. I'm moody what can I say.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Tony J! Miss ya and hope all is good in your neck of the woods.

    I think I have your number somewhere, but I don't wan't to bug you. Don't know where or why you might have vanished. You might have too much real life on your plate and if that's the case, cool.

    All is well here... much better than I deserve and I'm actually having a blast and life is good. Maybe we'll cross paths again someday.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi, Tony:
    It looks like you win your bet about AA outlasting Stinkin Thinkin! That site is now in an overly-long process of shutting down, for the following reasons, IMHO:
    1. The hosts being so arrogant as to attack people by name; and
    2. Those hosts being so stupid as to believe that the people they attacked would not defend themselves; and
    3. Those hosts being so timid as to scurry like bugs from under an overturned rock once they were identified!
    It looks like "Ilse" and "Mark" have finally done at least one thing right: they have banned themselves along with their site!

    ReplyDelete
  11. The Stinkin' Thinkin' blog is back up!

    Hahahahaha!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Well, Gunthar, your Stinkin Thinkin should now be renamed "Night of the Living Dead.com" in honor of compelling similarities to that flick!
    Looks like my obituary has worked on ST's residents like cremation did in that great old movie.
    Now, get off your couch and waddle outside and find some brains to eat!
    Teeheehee!

    ReplyDelete